Thursday, April 9, 2009

Ain't NO Betty Crocker!!

I have really been trying to be more of the home maker type. It's hard when I work all day! I have been telling myself..Okay your almost 31 and have never made a loaf of bread. Plus the bit of food storage that we do have, I will have no idea what to do if there ever was an emergency. What am I gonna do with all that wheat and flour? I am working on it so all of you calm down and stop shaking your heads.

So my first attempt was going rather smoothly, I mixed all the ingredients the way I was supposed to including the quick acting yeast which is mostly why I am scared of making bread. I did everything by hand, I was punching and kneading that dough like no other, good way to get your frustrations out by the way. I even looked the part. I put on my apron, had flour on my face and down the front of me not to mention all over the counter. It was great. I made sure that after I rolled the dough into a perfect ball and placed it aside covered for almost 45 minutes. I pulled the cook book out again and read the directions again and again. I came back from taking a break form the laundry ( another home maker project that I am so fond of doing ) and imprinted my 3 finger tips into the dough to make sure that it had risen enough and sure enough the impression stayed indented just like the directions said that it would. Woohoo!, moving right along. I looked at the time on the clock and still had plenty of time to get it in the oven before bed time...even maybe to have a warm slice just before sleepy time,mmm. The anticipation was killing me. So I rolled it out, that's after I separated the dough evenly of course. I greased my loaf pans and had rolled my dough up into perfect brick type pieces with the ends tucked in and then placed them into the oven....yes that's right..what step did I forget? I kept telling myself while I was looking thru the oven door, why isn't it filling the pans cooking? Shouldn't it be rising and be looking like a loaf that my Grandmother used to make? I went into complete panic mode and after having only 7 minutes left of baking realized that I was supposed to let it rise ONE MORE TIME!!! I knew I had read it over and over again..thoroughly but couldn't find what paragraph I saw it in. I wanted it to be perfect and I guess the whole trance I was in I was determined to get my slice of bread before bed time. What was bricks of dough ended up bricks of hard yeasty supposedly bread..YUCK!

Jason came home just in time to see me pull the bricks out of the oven ( you could of played football with them once they cooled ). I had to laugh, he was like what smells so good? Then he took a look at them and said what is it supposed to be? I explained, he then laughed and thanked me. It was the Tuesday before his fight and he was cutting way back on eating so it wouldn't be as hard to cut weight. With the failure of my bread we weren't able to devour one loaf before bed. In turn he kept..I should say we kept the weight off.

I will have to let you all know if the next loaves turn out. I have had a horrible week and do need to find something to take my frustrations out on. Some one get the flour ;)

5 comments:

Family said...

This would totally happen to me! I even tried banana bread once - and failed miserably. Keep trying...you'll get it soon enough!

Jamey said...

What sucks is that making bread takes so long - and then once you think you have it...when it doesn't turn out, you feel like a failure. It takes me a few weeks, or even months to want to try again - you make a big mess in the kitchen, and it takes all day - so when it doesn't turn out - it is so frustrating!!! Good luck on your second attempt!

Jacalyn said...

LOL! Love it!! Sounds like something that I would do. My mom is a great cook & I don't follow suit :(

katie and co. said...

Tawnie! Keep trying. I;ve got a pretty good recipe that I haven't failed at yet that maybe you could try...

Loved the honesty of this post. WE've all had our FIRST BREAD MAKING EXPERIENCE! :)

westfam said...

Tawnie, This is so funny. I laughed when I read this. This is totally me too. I try to make special recipes and be "Suzy Homemaker" and it doesn't always work out but at least we try right?!!!